11-5-14 What Ever Happened to the Dinosaurs?
Scripture is NIV.
I don’t think anyone knows for sure exactly what happened to the dinosaurs. If we ponder what is in the Bible maybe it will not be that big a mystery. We can know what God did to the dinosaur from the Bible; the only completely trustful source man has. Psalm 74:14-15 tells us: 14 You crushed the heads of Leviathan; You gave him as food for the creatures of the wilderness.15 You broke open springs and torrents; You dried up ever-flowing streams. Note how mention of the flood follows the mention of God crushing the heads of Leviathan (Dinosaurs) in this Psalm 74 scripture which appears to be a chronological list of what God has done of old in verses 12-15.
We know we can trust scripture, like the children’s song states, This I know because the Bible tells me so. I think this destruction of the dinosaur happened before the flood because of God’s discussion of the dinosaurs (as the behemoth and leviathan) with Job (Job 40:15 thru Job 41:34). That Job is the oldest book in the Bible and that Job knew the dinosaur is another indication that God and Job’s discussion took place before the flood.
Here are the reasons why I think the dinosaurs were not on the ark and were eradicated before the flood:
- Job 40:19 tells us: It ranks first among the works of God, yet its Maker can approach it with his sword. This infers only God could approach it and control it and man could not which we will see in the scripture below. God says much to Job about how undefeatable the dinosaur was. Given how God needed a sword to approach this dinosaur, wasn’t this animal too violent for the ark?
- It could have set the ark on fire: Job 41:18-21
18 Its snorting throws out flashes of light; its eyes are like the rays of dawn. 19 Flames stream from its mouth; sparks of fire shoot out. 20 Smoke pours from its nostrils as from a boiling pot over burning reeds. 21 Its breath sets coals ablaze, and flames dart from its mouth.
- The biggest dinosaur can weigh up to 100 tons and be up 100 feet long. The current news tells us they have now found one 130 feet long in Argentina. The current news also announces another really heavy one found in Africa that walked on two feet. It is hard to picture pairs of dinosaurs this long and this heavy on Noah’s ark which was less than 500 feet long. On Guam, I drove a truck weighing 100 tons or more and that feels like a tremendous amount of dead weight. Compare that to a shifting live animal weight. Once again, I know God can do anything and that His hand was on the ark; but, when God gave Noah the instructions for the ark it seems small for all the other animals let alone include the dinosaurs. Yes, I understand not every dinosaur type had to be on the ark given it was for animals after their kind but there are numerous kinds of big heavy dinosaurs.
- When God crushed the heads of the dinosaurs, they were given as food to the creatures in the wilderness. It doesn’t seem plausible that God would bring them through the flood only to destroy them afterward. God did this because all flesh on earth had become corrupt: Genesis 6:11-12 11 Now the earth was corrupt in the sight of God, and the earth was filled with violence. 12 God looked on the earth, and behold, it was corrupt; for all flesh had corrupted their way upon the earth.
- Man could neither control nor kill the dinosaur. As you read this scripture try to visualize man trying to kill this creature with rocks, clubs, spears and swords. Job 41:12-33
12 “I will not fail to speak of Leviathan’s limbs, its strength and its graceful form. 13 Who can strip off its outer coat? Who can penetrate its double coat of armor? 14 Who dares open the doors of its mouth, ringed about with fearsome teeth? 15 Its back had rows of shields tightly sealed together; 16 each is so close to the next that no air can pass between. 17 They are joined fast to one another; they cling together and cannot be parted. 18 Its snorting throws out flashes of light; its eyes are like the rays of dawn. 19 Flames stream from its mouth; sparks of fire shoot out. 20 Smoke pours from its nostrils as from a boiling pot over burning reeds. 21 Its breath sets coals ablaze, and flames dart from its mouth. 22 Strength resides in its neck; dismay goes before it. 23 The folds of its flesh are tightly joined; they are firm and immovable. 24 Its chest is hard as rock, hard as a lower millstone. 25 When it rises up, the mighty are terrified; they retreat before its thrashing. 26 The sword that reaches it has no effect, nor does the spear or the dart or the javelin. 27 Iron it treats like straw and bronze like rotten wood. 28 Arrows do not make it flee; slingstones are like chaff to it. 29 A club seems to it but a piece of straw; it laughs at the rattling of the lance. 30 Its undersides are jagged potsherds, leaving a trail in the mud like a threshing sledge. 31 It makes the depths churn like a boiling caldron and stirs up the sea like a pot of ointment. 32 It leaves a glistening wake behind it; one would think the deep had white hair. 33 Nothing on earth is its equal— a creature without fear. 34 It looks down on all that are haughty; it is king over all that are proud.”
Genesis 9:1-3 and 26 tell us that after the flood, God gave man dominion over the earth.
Then God blessed Noah and his sons, saying to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the earth. 2 The fear and dread of you will fall on all the beasts of the earth, and on all the birds in the sky, on every creature that moves along the ground, and on all the fish in the sea; they are given into your hands. 3 Everything that lives and moves about will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything.
Back at creation, when God created man, they were to have dominion over the earth. Before the flood, when the earth had become wicked, man could neither control nor kill the most fearsome dinosaur but afterward man could kill all animal life: Genesis 1:26 Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.” After the flood, man had dominion over all the animals on earth because the dinosaur was gone.
The other Leviathans following Job in the Bible in Psalms 104:23 it is a whale and in Isaiah 27:1 a and b, the Leviathan described as the twisted serpent appears to be Satan while the second leviathan is a whale. I know God can do anything; but, It is also hard for me to imagine two of each kind of dinosaur on Noah’s 450 foot long ark.
If you disagree or have other ideas, I would like to hear them. If I am wrong, and the dinosaurs were on the ark, that would make the story of the ark even more awesome.
Ron Madison at www.americaisafallennation.com
My e book is America, Christ’s Top Nation has Fallen